Followers

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

EDUC6165 Week6 Adjourning Stage


The adjourning phase of team development is the fifth and final stage.  In this stage, the end project should be reviewed and evaluated.  Projects that turned out well can be remembered for the future.  Projects that did not turn out well can be dissected, and the results saved and learned for the future.  This is also a time for the team to celebrate the various successes of the project.  Often, close knit group members will feel sad that the project has ended, and will want to keep in touch.

High performing groups are very difficult to leave.  In a high performing group, members become close knit, they become almost like a family.  Groups with a strong norming stage have members which trust, value and respect each other.  There is a strong level of peer support among group members with a strong norming stage.  When the group disbands, there is a feeling of loss, a feeling of sadness.  Persons you have become close to, trust, and respect are no longer available for group work.

Low performing groups are easy to leave.  There is not a high level of trust formed.  Neither is there a high level of commitment.  Members are not connected and feel little or no responsibility for each other.  A low performing group often never reaches the norming stage, never learns to work toward a common goal as a team.

I have experienced a variety of adjourning rituals.  Project reflection is a common ritual, which can be enlightening and educational.  Parties are often thrown at the end of a project, a place to celebrate the project, a place to say good-byes, a place to exchange personal contact information.  Parties are a very common ritual!  Sometimes, a project just ends with an event.  This is common when planning an event, such as a scout banquet.  Often, when the event ends, the team is thanked, and no further adjourning takes place.

When I graduated from high school, I felt sad to leave my group of friends.  We worked toward a common goal.  Graduation.  When I graduate from this master’s degree program, I will again feel sad to loose contact with my fellow students.  The online environment allows for a lower level of team work than a course taught in a classroom, and is not as difficult to leave.  However, I will still feel sad to no longer communicate with my classmates.  I hope to keep in touch as I begin a career in the teaching field, beginning a new team challenge, a project defined as a peer support group for those of us entering the job market in the early childhood field, another online team project.  I do not want to say goodbye, I want to start another project!       
Adjourning is an essential portion of team work, as every beginning needs an ending.  Proper adjourning sets the stage for further team work.  Team members are able to celebrate successes and learn from choices and decisions that were less than perfect.  Proper adjourning practices also give participants an opportunity to socialize, reinforcing new friendships and planning future contact.  

5 comments:

  1. Mary,

    I would love to keep in touch after graduate school. I know that many of my classmates here at Walden will be great support in the coming years. I also plan to be supportive for anyone that might need it.

    I really love the way you talked about not saying goodbye but rather to start a new project together. The networking that has been done during graduate school can continue, and I hope it does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,

    I agree, it is imperative to self reflect after the adjourning phase...in order to grow and work well within a group, you should establish a report so that you can maintain relationships. I hope you can maintain your relationships well after the adjourning phase of this course and our group.

    Nicky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary,
    We have formed a group and collaboratively we have formed an interesting discussion board and blog exchanges. Although we have not seen or met each other personally, we have heard and understand each other's point of view and we respect and appreciate each one's contribution. Our adjournment may not be as saddening as your previous experience but the relationship we established will take us even closer because of our commitment to families and children in our care. Thank you for all your comments on our discussion board and our blogs. I am looking forward to work with you again on our next course. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, I think we as colleagues has formed a team because we have built, collaborated thoughts ideas, suggestions and etc. Even though our journey with this course is coming to an end, I can say that I have learned from you and other colleagues that will forever stay with me. Thank you for being a great asset in this course. Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that high performing groups are harder to leave and team work inevitable results in a bond. These bonds are stronger when you have worked together to achieve a goal

    ReplyDelete